Skip to main content

Stuck in Antarctica

 I was trapped in an invisible ice cube everyday. I couldn’t escape the feeling of being frozen. When I was heavily using behaviors in my eating disorder, I was malnourished as you know. This came with consequences that I couldn’t flee even if I tried. There was zero fat on my body at this point. I was a walking skeleton. My body had no warmth to protect me or generate heat. I felt extremely cold 24/7. This wasn’t your ordinary feeling of cold. It’s not like standing outside in the snow with no clothes, it is dreadful. My bones would constantly hurt from the pain. The coldness I felt would never go away unless I was sitting under my electric blanket that could produce its own heat for me. This point in my life I wasn’t happy. I was suffering all day everyday. No one around me could relate to the immense amount of pain my body would feel from freezing. It got to the point where I would have panic attacks before going to school because I just could not endure the agony my body was going through for that long of a day. I was only happy under my electric blanket. Before you ask, yes, I was wearing warm clothing and not just shorts. I remember it was May and my classmates began wearing shorts to school. I would wear two layers of leggings and I had an undershirt, a regular shirt, a sweatshirt, and then my winter jacket. Even with all those layers I was still miserable. After school I would beg my dad to turn the heat on in the car when he picked me up. The temperature in the car was so high he would be sweating and I would just now start to get a little warmer. 


As I began to recover slowly, very slowly, I lost the feeling of always being cold. Today, I still have a long way to go in my recovery but I am not in discomfort everyday. I do not like being cold now. I can’t be outside to this day that long because I get PTSD and flashbacks. I can’t stand being cold any longer because I was tortured by it for months of my life. To anyone who might be in recovery, it can be hard to find motivation to want to get better. One of my main motivations was not being cold anymore. Find your own motivations. I know it can be scary to recover because you do not know what is in store for you or what will happen. But I promise you, you won’t regret it. I would never go back now. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intuitive Movement

  Intuitive Movement:  Before I begin on intuitive movement, to whoever is reading, ask yourself these questions: How would you describe your relationship with intuitive movement? Do I use movement in an unhealthy way because I dislike my appearance? Am I exercising to allow myself to eat food later? Intuitive movement is not something that just applies to people who struggle with eating disorders. In society today, many people are fixated on exercise or exercise goals. The phrase “no pain, no gain” comes to mind when I am talking about this. However, this mindset can be destructive and lead to overexercising, body dysmorphia, disordered eating, and more. The mindset should be focused on trying to find pleasurable movement. Exercising to keep your mind and body healthy does not have to be vigorous or dreadful. If a person likes intense workouts, that's amazing because it works for them. On the other hand, someone should not be working out to punish their body. The entire concept o

How It All Started

      This is my story about my time with ED. I wanted to share my experience with others to encourage people and help raise awareness for this mental health disorder. My battle started in November of 2019. I had just moved to Wisconsin and had started a new school and dance program. I remember the date, November 1st, I had my first office visit with my new doctor. Everything was fine, it was just as any other appointment would go. Towards the end of my visit, she asked my dad to step out of the room. My doctor then proceeded to tell me," I know its fun in Wisconsin, but slow down on the brats and cheese curds." She continued to say how I was overweight. After that appointment, I never told anyone what she said because it hadn't effected me yet. Fast forward to March of 2020, the coronavirus hit. My school had shut down and my dance studio. There was nothing for me to control in my life because I didn't know what was going to happen next. My mind then starts to drift

Reclaiming Joy

  Theodore Roosevelt was not wrong when he said, “Comparison is the thief of joy." Consistently comparing your life with others can blind you to the joys that your own life has to offer. The world has created a culture of comparison that some people don't even know we live in. On social media, we view content from loved ones and/or influencers, and our brains automatically rank their lives compared to ours. For the longest time, I had no idea that my happiness was linked to basing my life on someone else’s. I would participate in the act of comparison without even knowing it. Humans have an innate desire to belong and to be accepted. Social media reinforces this narrative by pushing highlight reels of others that we compare to our behind-the-scenes reel. Likes, comments, and shares can also serve as a measure of validation. Our worth can be measured against these statistics. I am not saying that social media is the root of comparison because humans have done this since the beg