Skip to main content

Intuitive Movement

 Intuitive Movement: 

Before I begin on intuitive movement, to whoever is reading, ask yourself these questions: How would you describe your relationship with intuitive movement? Do I use movement in an unhealthy way because I dislike my appearance? Am I exercising to allow myself to eat food later? Intuitive movement is not something that just applies to people who struggle with eating disorders. In society today, many people are fixated on exercise or exercise goals. The phrase “no pain, no gain” comes to mind when I am talking about this. However, this mindset can be destructive and lead to overexercising, body dysmorphia, disordered eating, and more. The mindset should be focused on trying to find pleasurable movement. Exercising to keep your mind and body healthy does not have to be vigorous or dreadful. If a person likes intense workouts, that's amazing because it works for them. On the other hand, someone should not be working out to punish their body. The entire concept of intuitive movement is to engage in physical activity based on your body's cues and sensations. It is about paying attention to what your body needs, making balanced decisions, and taking a sustainable approach to exercise. This is to help prevent rigidity in routines or external expectations.


Body Acceptance: Body acceptance can sound daunting because there is this preconceived notion that we have to “love” the way we look. In actuality, this is sustainable. It can put so much pressure on this idea that it is hard for anyone to achieve. Instead, a better approach is better acceptance. All in all, this means appreciating your body for what it is. Appreciating your vessel will take the focus off the image of what you look like and instead narrow in on all the amazing functions your body is capable of. The human body does so many things throughout the day to keep it regulated. By practicing adequate nourishment (no dieting or restrictions), sleep, and regular movement (not using exercise as a punishment), you're on the right track to care for your body.


Emotional Well-Being: This part of intuitive movement helps create the intention behind exercise. Having the emotional resources to create a non-judgmental place for your body is a great way to tune in and ask yourself what you need today. This non-judgmental state creates less black-and-white thinking as well as avoids rigorous structures. Getting rid of the idea that exercise is only beneficial if it is intense or something that you “have to do" will help drive you away from the hold that diet culture has on most of us. Doing full body scans, making notes of what would feel good for a movement, and following those mental notes allows for not only your body to feel better but also your brain. Also, by doing this, you're tying in body acceptance. Through scanning your body, accepting it for what it is telling you, and doing what it needs, that's body acceptance. It works together like each piece of a puzzle.


Sustainable Approach: For me, this part of intuitive movement means giving your body permission to rest unconditionally. Your body needs a day to relax and repair itself. It is super important to be mindful of when your body is giving you cues for this. Self-compassion plays a big role these days. Going through life can be hard enough, and sometimes you need a day, two, three, or even a week to get back to feeling better. That is completely okay and normal. Do not let anyone tell you differently.


These tools for intuitive movement prevent the development of unhealthy exercise habits driven by extreme routines or unrealistic goals, which can contribute to body dysmorphia and overexercising. By prioritizing self-awareness, body acceptance, and listening to internal cues, individuals can prevent body dysmorphia and overexercising, fostering a healthier and more balanced relationship with their bodies.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving the Winter and Holidays

  The temperature outside was dropping and so was my body’s core temperature.  This time of year brings up many emotions and memories. Some are good, but most are painful and uncomfortable. I will cut right to it. The winter season is brutal for people with eating disorders. It gets harder to hide. The winter months are not just hard because of all the holidays surrounding food, the weather hurts our bodies. My bones would hurt from being extremely cold.  No matter the level of severity that someone's eating disorder, it is always important to have extra care for people around the holidays (no matter, what everyone is valid and deserves to recover) In the hardest times of my eating disorder, holiday meals were always around. I was tip-toeing around eating and trying to hide my sickness as much as possible. Even if your loved ones know about your eating disorder, meals can still be really difficult. Especially when there is an increasing amount of diet-culture talk that goes on arou

How It All Started

      This is my story about my time with ED. I wanted to share my experience with others to encourage people and help raise awareness for this mental health disorder. My battle started in November of 2019. I had just moved to Wisconsin and had started a new school and dance program. I remember the date, November 1st, I had my first office visit with my new doctor. Everything was fine, it was just as any other appointment would go. Towards the end of my visit, she asked my dad to step out of the room. My doctor then proceeded to tell me," I know its fun in Wisconsin, but slow down on the brats and cheese curds." She continued to say how I was overweight. After that appointment, I never told anyone what she said because it hadn't effected me yet. Fast forward to March of 2020, the coronavirus hit. My school had shut down and my dance studio. There was nothing for me to control in my life because I didn't know what was going to happen next. My mind then starts to drift