Skip to main content

Holiday Time and Ed

 It was Christmas Eve and I was begging my parents to go to the gym. Last year, I had an unhealthy obsession with running. I would run to earn food and to be skinner. The night before Christmas day I was asking my parents over and over again if I could go on Christmas, even though it is a holiday, I wanted to go to the gym and run. After pleading all night they eventually agreed. Christmas morning at 7:00am before eating breakfast or opening presents, they took me to the gym. I proceeded to run three miles. The reason I had wanted to work out so badly was so I could then enjoy my Christmas day and not feel guilty for eating food. 


In reality, I wasn’t close to eating enough food to fuel my body in the first place. When we were done at the gym I went home and had a piece of toast. There was no butter or any spread on it. It was simply just a piece of toasted bread. Running and the thoughts in my mind to be the ideal image of “skinny” were controlling my life. Did I actually want to wake up on Christmas morning to go on a 3 mile run? No absolutely not, but I did it anyway because I would feel “bad” that I let myself skip a day of working out. I also knew if I let myself skip a day of running I would limit myself on how much food I would eat that day. So, by me running on Christmas that meant I would be able to “enjoy” pizza for dinner without being guilt free. As a matter of fact, I used running as a way of punishment for what I was eating. My eating disorder brain would tell me over and over again I needed to workout because: 1) I wasn’t good enough and 2) there is probably someone else working out and much skinnier than you. 


The holidays are a time for joy and connecting with your family. I wasn’t doing that. I was too focused on how many calories I was consuming. I am sharing this story because I know the holidays can be stressful. You don’t have to feel guilty for eating your favorite holiday treats. You don’t have to compare how many servings you have of your holiday dinner to others. You do deserve to make memories and enjoy the food around Christmas and the holidays. I won’t lie, I still have a hard time around the holidays this year. I just needed to remind myself of a quote by Emily Locke, “There is more to the holidays than food. Your eating disorder doesn’t deserve to take control of yet another part of your life.” Don’t let your eating disorder make the holidays an obstacle, because it is a time for love and happiness. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intuitive Movement

  Intuitive Movement:  Before I begin on intuitive movement, to whoever is reading, ask yourself these questions: How would you describe your relationship with intuitive movement? Do I use movement in an unhealthy way because I dislike my appearance? Am I exercising to allow myself to eat food later? Intuitive movement is not something that just applies to people who struggle with eating disorders. In society today, many people are fixated on exercise or exercise goals. The phrase “no pain, no gain” comes to mind when I am talking about this. However, this mindset can be destructive and lead to overexercising, body dysmorphia, disordered eating, and more. The mindset should be focused on trying to find pleasurable movement. Exercising to keep your mind and body healthy does not have to be vigorous or dreadful. If a person likes intense workouts, that's amazing because it works for them. On the other hand, someone should not be working out to punish their body. The entire concept o

How It All Started

      This is my story about my time with ED. I wanted to share my experience with others to encourage people and help raise awareness for this mental health disorder. My battle started in November of 2019. I had just moved to Wisconsin and had started a new school and dance program. I remember the date, November 1st, I had my first office visit with my new doctor. Everything was fine, it was just as any other appointment would go. Towards the end of my visit, she asked my dad to step out of the room. My doctor then proceeded to tell me," I know its fun in Wisconsin, but slow down on the brats and cheese curds." She continued to say how I was overweight. After that appointment, I never told anyone what she said because it hadn't effected me yet. Fast forward to March of 2020, the coronavirus hit. My school had shut down and my dance studio. There was nothing for me to control in my life because I didn't know what was going to happen next. My mind then starts to drift

Reclaiming Joy

  Theodore Roosevelt was not wrong when he said, “Comparison is the thief of joy." Consistently comparing your life with others can blind you to the joys that your own life has to offer. The world has created a culture of comparison that some people don't even know we live in. On social media, we view content from loved ones and/or influencers, and our brains automatically rank their lives compared to ours. For the longest time, I had no idea that my happiness was linked to basing my life on someone else’s. I would participate in the act of comparison without even knowing it. Humans have an innate desire to belong and to be accepted. Social media reinforces this narrative by pushing highlight reels of others that we compare to our behind-the-scenes reel. Likes, comments, and shares can also serve as a measure of validation. Our worth can be measured against these statistics. I am not saying that social media is the root of comparison because humans have done this since the beg